Dr. Alex G. Wilson & Associates treats a variety of eye conditions, including various infections and inflammations, for patients of all ages in Calgary, including the following:
If it feels like you might have something in your eye all the time, you might be suffering from dry eyes syndrome. Someone with dry eyes either doesn’t produce enough tears or produces tears with the wrong chemical makeup. This condition becomes more common as you age. Symptoms may include burning, red eyes, tearing and blurred vision. While dry eyes can’t be cured, we can develop a treatment plan to reduce the irritation.
When your retina pulls away from the back of your eye, this condition is called a detached retina. A detached retina can be caused by injury, aging, tumors, disease or surgery. This condition can cause vision distortion or blurred vision. If not treated, it can cause permanent vision loss. If you ever notice a dark shadow, floater, light flashes, blurred vision or blind spots, you may need to see one of our professionals.
Also commonly referred to as pink eye, conjunctivitis is an infection of the membrane over your eye. Caused by germs from various sources, conjunctivitis is contagious and spreads easily when it’s caused by a virus or bacteria. If it’s caused by chemicals or allergies, it’s not considered contagious. Should you develop itchy, watery red eyes or have a yellow discharge, you should seek a trained eye doctor to determine the cause of your conjunctivitis.
As we become older, the lenses of our eyes sometimes become cloudy, blocking light and causing vision problems. This condition is known as a cataract and the preferred treatment is surgery for immediate vision improvement. If you think you have developed a cataract, consult a trained eye doctor to determine the right course of treatment.
Glaucoma is a collection of eye conditions that increases the pressure in your eye. If left untreated, glaucoma can eventually damage your eye’s optic nerve and can lead to blindness. Although glaucoma most often occurs in elderly patients, signs of pressure changes can begin much sooner and cases of juvenile glaucoma have been reported. If you have a history of glaucoma or notice a sudden loss of eye sight, seek a trained eye doctor immediately. A trained eye doctor can develop a treatment plan to help reduce eye pressure.
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD)
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD) is one of the leading causes of irreversible vision loss among people over 55. Different people will develop different symptoms with this condition. Some will lose sight in just one eye, while others will lose sight in both eyes. Typically, vision is lost in the centre of the visual field. Early diagnosis may slow the disease’s progression.
10 Warning Signs Of Eye Trouble
We’ve talked about seven bad habits that can age your eyes. We also wanted to share with you 10 warning signs of eye trouble. Read these warning signs over and be sure to take care of your eyes.
- Transient Vision Loss A greying over of vision in one eye that may last seconds or minutes which could signal a risk for Stroke or other types blood vessel blockage disease.
- Double Vision This may be as simple as your eye teaming or binocular vision which is very common or rarely could be a sign of a more serious health problem such a stroke or tumour.
- Sudden Blurry Vision If it improves by blinking or using tear supplements it is probably related to dry eyes.
- Gradual Blurry Vision Could just mean you need a new prescription for glasses (most likely) Cataracts are another common cause.
- Painful, Sudden Blurry Vision When accompanied by nausea and vomiting it may be caused by an eye disease called “ Narrow Angle Glaucoma “ the pressure may rise acutely in one eye causing the symptoms, this is an urgent situation, go immediately to your Optometrist’s office or Emergency Ward at the Hospital if after hours.
- Flashing Lights/ Floaters Extremely common symptom for Physician referrals to Optometrists, could however signify a change in the gel inside the eye and carries a very small risk for a tear in the Retina.
- Curtain Or Veil Across One Side Of Your vision Even though it is painless if it is often ignored for weeks which is unfortunate as it may signal a retinal detachment. It must be diagnosed and treated immediately to prevent permanent vision loss.
- Distorted Vision In One Eye If you are over 50 years old it could be due to Macular Degeneration, under 50 they look at different diseases of the Macula.
- Unequal Pupil Size Usually not a serious symptom, if accompanied by blurred vision or droopy eyelid or double vision seek immediate Medical care.
- Scratchy Irritated Eyes Usually due to dryness but could have a more serious cause, an annual eye exam is the best way to ensure the health of your eyes. If you’re experiencing the more urgent symptoms don’t delay in consulting with Dr. Alex G. Wilson & Associates.
Should you wish to schedule an appointment for an eye exam at either our Deerfoot Mall or Westbrook Mall location, please contact us today. We’re open Monday through Saturday with flexible hours for your convenience.