In our last blog post we talked about seven bad habits that can age your eyes. Today, our Calgary optometrists are going to discuss 10 warning signs of eye trouble. Read these warning signs over and be sure to take care of your eyes.
- Transient Vision Loss A greying over of vision in one eye that may last seconds or minutes which could signal a risk for Stroke or other types blood vessel blockage disease.
- Double Vision This may be as simple as your eye teaming or binocular vision which is very common or rarely could be a sign of a more serious health problem such a stroke or tumour.
- Sudden Blurry Vision If it improves by blinking or using tear supplements it is probably related to dry eyes.
- Gradual Blurry Vision Could just mean you need a new prescription for glasses (most likely) Cataracts are another common cause.
- Painful, Sudden Blurry Vision When accompanied by nausea and vomiting it may be caused by an eye disease called “ Narrow Angle Glaucoma “ the pressure may rise acutely in one eye causing the symptoms, this is an urgent situation, go immediately to your Optometrist’s office or Emergency Ward at the Hospital if after hours.
- Flashing Lights/ Floaters Extremely common symptom for Physician referrals to Optometrists, could however signify a change in the gel inside the eye and carries a very small risk for a tear in the Retina.
- Curtain Or Veil Across One Side Of Your vision Even though it is painless if it is often ignored for weeks which is unfortunate as it may signal a retinal detachment. It must be diagnosed and treated immediately to prevent permanent vision loss.
- Distorted Vision In One Eye If you are over 50 years old it could be due to Macular Degeneration, under 50 they look at different diseases of the Macula.
- Unequal Pupil Size Usually not a serious symptom, if accompanied by blurred vision or droopy eyelid or double vision seek immediate Medical care.
- Scratchy Irritated Eyes Usually due to dryness but could have a more serious cause, an annual eye exam is the best way to ensure the health of your eyes. If you’re experiencing the more urgent symptoms don’t delay in consulting with your Calgary optometrist.
If you are experiencing any of these warning signs, contact us today to book an appointment for an eye exam in Calgary.